Remembering 9/11

It was weird to look up at my last blog post and see that the date was September 11, and realize that up to that point yesterday, I had not really even thought about the tragic events that occurred seven years ago. I think that everyone will vividly remember where they were and what they were doing when the towers were hit. I was sitting in the living room of my apartment in Ephraim, UT (home of Snow College) watching the Wonder Years, when my mom called and told me to turn to the news. I did and was at first confused about what I was seeing, and then suddenly shocked and numb when the footage of the second tower being hit was shown. I didn't go to school at all that day, but remained in my apartment watching the historic events unfold. My dad was in Philadelphia, PA on business that week, and I remember wanting to get a hold of him so desperately to know if he was okay, even though I knew he was out of harms way. It took until late that night before he was finally able to contact me. As I get ready to become a father, I have been thinking of how much my dad must have wanted to have me on the phone to let me know he was okay; how much he must have wished he could give me a big hug and tell me everything would be okay. Had I been in his shoes, 2,000 miles away from my family, that is exactly what I would have desired. Whereas at the time, in my selfish 18 year old state, I may have wanted to make sure he was okay, but I wasn't aching to be with my family as I know I would if it were to happen all over again. I'm very grateful to have Kristin, and have this little one on the way. Kristin commented this morning that she thought her tummy is feeling harder. She's "developing her shell" as she puts it. It's so exciting to experience each change, and having sat last night to reflect upon the terrible events that took place on September 11, 2001, it makes what is happening now in our lives seem so much sweeter.

0 comments: