Tilt-Shift Photography

This is so cool! A classmate showed me these images that looked like they were macros (extreme close ups) of little model towns. He then showed me time lapse photography of one of these models moving. The video below is of a beach scene. But here's the trick: they're not models. These are real people on a real beach! Tilt-shift uses a special lens that severely limits the depth of field of an image, making it look like the subject of the photo is a macro scene. Here is the Wikipedia entry on tilt-shift photography.

This next one is my favorite. I think it perfectly captures the feeling of toys, but these are real, life-sized boats on the open sea. Bathtub II from Keith Loutit on Vimeo.

7 comments:

RaeLynn said...
Brittney said...

Sorry about spying on your blog, I just had to know what Tilt-shift photography was. Those were amazing! I have never seen anything like that before. My daughter was sitting next to me while I was watching those and asked if they were a video game. VERY VERY COOL!

November 19, 2008 at 5:01 PM  
Chris said...

You weren't spying on our blog, Brittney! You're part of our ward family! Glad you liked it.

November 19, 2008 at 5:08 PM  
Andrea said...

Cool! The boat one is crazy. It really looks like toys.

November 19, 2008 at 5:18 PM  
Amie said...
Tricia said...

That's awesome. I'm gonna have to look into that a little more!

November 19, 2008 at 8:40 PM  
LyndiLou said...